Thursday, October 11, 2007

Buffy and Gay Shows

I recently started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1. Here are my early thoughts:


1. Do any other students besides Buffy, Xander, and Willow ever go the library?

2. Don't other teachers/staff think it's weird that the librarian is always receiving musty old books?

3. Watching a show where a female lead is the hero is refreshing, entertaining, and relatable. Not, like I can relate to her being a vampire slayer/hero. But I can relate to a woman who's sole purpose on a show is to serve as love interest to the male lead. I'm picking up on some serious feminist subtext here and maybe some day I'll write about it. Right now, I'm only 8 episodes in.

Anyway, I do realize that watching Buffy is a somewhat stereotypical thing for a lesbian to do.

So while we're on the topic, yes I also like Xena: Warrior Princess. I feel ambivalent about The L Word and actually prefer Queer as Folk (without the annoying lesbians "Mel" and "Lindz"). I think The L Word's problem is that it tries (and fails) to be all things to all people. Knowing how uber-PC lesbians are, I think the producers wanted to make a show that was entirely inclusive of all types of lesbians. That's a great theory, but they forgot that it's 1 show. With 1 hour per week. For 13 (?) weeks of the year. I would sacrifice learning about "Lisa the Male Lesbian" for a better quality show.

Noah's Arc on Logo was okay. It sometimes had good story lines but, again, it looked sort of cheaply-made.

What else... what else....

Oh yeah, I'm going to a live taping of the Ellen Show in LA in less than a month.

Don't be jealous.

No comments: