Monday, August 4, 2008

The AFA's Secret Ploy to Address Obesity Crisis?

Professional anti-gay organizations such as the American Family Association (AFA) and Americans for Truth [sic] About Homosexuality are up in arms about the fact that McDonald's has donated $20,000 to the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.

The AFA has even started a Boycott McDonald's website full of "breaking news" and resources about this Very Important Battle in the "culture wars." The main problem, according to this website, is that "McDonald's has chosen not to remain neutral but to give the full weight of their corporation to promoting the homosexual agenda, including homosexual marriage."

For kicks, I went over to this "Boycott McDonald's" website to see what it was all about. Upon entering the site, I was immediately drawn to a forum in which disgruntled and offended American Families (tm) can express their disapproval of McDonald's actions.

After reading the typo-laden comments left by these "loving" common folk, my first thought was that this website was surely some sort of parody meant to discredit the anti-gay movement.

Yet upon further reflection, I have come to believe that the real motivation is much more benign. As I read testimonials of ginormous American Family (tm) after ginormous American Family (tm) vowing to no longer eat McDonald's, it hit me. This boycott is possibly a secret ploy to deal with our nation's obesity crisis.

Observe:

One family man or woman writes, "Please reconsider! Our family of six has enjoyed your food for years but can not continue to do so knowing that our money is going towards your new cause. We urge you to continue being a place where traditionally wed families feel comfortable."

One ex-customer says, "I used to be a regular customer, but not any moere if Mc'Dees is actively supporting this agenda."

A (possibly Scottish) grandparent writes, "I will take me 10 great grand children to Wendys BurgerKing or some other place. YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN!"

One parent writes of her new healthy eating habits, "My daughter nor I will be eating @ McDonalds as long as they support homosexual agenda. We will not be eating @ McDonalds again. Nor will my son-in-law, daugher, & grandchildren be eating there again. I would rather pay lots of money to eat @ a sit down restauranct than to go thru a fast food restaurant & support something that I know to be wrong."

And it just goes on! Large family after large family vows to stop eating at McDonald's.

Now, I've seen Super-Size Me so I know that eating less McDonald's is bound to make a person healthier. Even though these possibly super-sized families are against full equality for people like me, I can only applaud their recent ventures into more healthy eating.

A few days ago, I criticized those who played upon popular prejudices of gays and lesbians for political gain. Now though I see that sometimes, the ends justify the means. As a lesbian, I can agree that it's justifiable for professional anti-gays to use homo-bigotry when it advances the noble aim of living in a nation in which fewer homo-haters succumb to heart disease, diabetes, and the other trappings of obesity.

Bravo, AFA. Well done!

No comments: