Friday, November 13, 2009

Rules For Servers

I found this article in The New York Times, "100 Things Restaurant Staffers Should Never Do (Part 1)" amusing, and also true, for the most part.

I was glad to see some of my pet peeves mentioned, including:

"Do not turn on the charm when it’s tip time. Be consistent throughout."

and

"Do not interrupt a conversation. For any reason. Especially not to recite specials. Wait for the right moment."

I don't know if it's because many servers are wannabe actors, but oftentimes, I find myself so distracted by the hyper "presentation" of the specials that I'm too annoyed to actually focus on what the specials are.

Anyway, my addition to the list would be "Never use the Royal 'we.'"

Unless my server is my secret Siamese twin, I don't want to hear someone ask me "How we are enjoying our meal."

Which reminds me, some bloggers, like Perez Hilton, use the Royal "we" even though only one person is writing the blog. What's up with that?

No comments: