Thursday, March 29, 2018

Comedians In Cars Being Rich Assholes

I might have mentioned once or twice that I'm one of approximately 17 people in the multiverse who never got into the show Seinfeld, or Jerry Seinfeld in general, despite giving it a good try.

That's why this article, panning Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee, is so thoroughly satisfying to me. I've never watched this particular show (see above), but it sounds horrible:
"It’s not hard to understand why the show exists, but a slightly harder question to answer is why it fucking sucks shit. I will admit it is nicely shot. The rest of it feels more like the exercise of a man who spent his life obsessing over fancy cars and needed an excuse to write off his expensive hobby.
...Here, we’re presented with a man who looks like the Seinfeld we [sic] know and love, but his foibles are no longer our own. Perhaps it’s a side effect of the Trump era, but a significant percentage of us are not exactly in the mood these days to watch the grabass exploits of a monied narcissist."
I often see, as in this piece, the suggestion that Seinfeld's character in Seinfeld was a "humble everyman," but that characterization never resonated with me. In fact, his persona in Comedians In Cars seems pretty on point with how I've always seen the guy.

Anyway, the correction at the end of the piece is somehow just perfect:
"Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated Jerry owned a Porsche on Seinfeld."
Somebody both knew and needed this bit of fake Seinfeld news corrected.

No comments: