Friday, September 7, 2007

Carnival of Feminists

I'd like to take this moment to make a shoutout to the 44th Carnival of Feminists that is currently up on the Reproductive Rights Blog and thank them for posting my article on the HPV vaccine and boys.

The Carnival of Feminists is something I recently stumbled upon and thought it was a neat idea.

This is what it is:

"The Carnival of Feminists is held (usually) on the first and third Wednesday of each month. Hosted by a different blogger for each edition, it aims to showcase the finest feminist posts from around the blogsphere." A different blogger hosts it each time and a different "feminist" topic is chosen for bloggers to write about it.

Partipate it you want! "Feminists" are not a monolithic group. We are often stereotyped yet we have a multitude of views that are more nuanced than is often portrayed in anti-feminist writings. In this day where "feminist" is used as a pejorative, it takes courage to admit to being one. For, as a feminist, you will likely be labeled as a "man-hater" a "lesbian" (what's wrong with that?) and possibly "pathological."

It's a scare tactic, I think. It's a label to scare women and men who dare question the status-quo.

Feminism is hard to define, but here's one definition I like:

“I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute…”

–Rebecca West, The Clarion, 11/14/13

No comments: