Friday, March 15, 2019

My Very Important Thoughts About Beto

From Twitter:


From the Vanity Fair piece, Beto says he was "born to be in it."

And yes, he's aware that our political system has long been dominated by white men. It seems to trouble him. Just not enough for him to step back and support a woman for the top job, of course.

Meanwhile,"I guess he'll do, 2020."


In all honesty, I know little about Beto other than what I've gleaned from his Wikipedia page and that glossy Vanity Fair profile. I don't actually even hate him, even though it might seem like it.

His run against Ted Cruz in Texas was impressive. I just don't immediately find him inspiring as a candidate for president and a lot of the mania seems to be that he's a shiny, charming, handsome white male face. That will work in his favor, even as the mainstream press acts like it's a "liability" to be a white male Democratic politician these days.

I'm repelled by his talk about how he thinks he'd uniquely be able to work with Republicans, as it seems incredibly naive to think Republican politicians are acting in good faith in the era of Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell. That talk, of course, could be a strategy to garner support from white Republican voters.

Woo!

Also, I wasn't a fan of his video, particularly the placement of his wife as a mute, adoring supporter.

No comments: