Monday, July 27, 2009

In Which Carrie Prejean Somehow Finds the Courage To Go On Living

For good reason, I have mostly refrained from participating in discussions surrounding former Miss California Carrie Prejean, of "opposite-marriage" fame.

One, I don't think talking about her breast implants and similar drama is all that relevant to much of anything. Secondly, I have never been interested in what this inarticulate woman has to say and, actually, I don't know why she is continually being elevated into the national political discourse (I have similar feelings about "Joe the Plumber"). It's not so much that I believe the meme that all beauty queens are idiots, it's more that, to put it bluntly, her oral "defense" of marriage was among the more clumsy I've heard, and I've heard a lot.

When people don't speak well about an issue, they usually don't think well about that issue either. I mean, all she basically said was that she was raised to believe that marriage was for a man and woman and so that's what she believes now. That just doesn't demonstrate much thought about the issue, and it is certainly not a logical reason to oppose marriage equality. When people don't think well or even all that much about an issue, they're probably not in the best position to "inform" others about that issue or become that issue's leading lady.

That's why it's too bad that for Perez Hilton's sexist, asinine treatment of her, Prejean is currently wearing the tiara of "Marriage Defense" Martyr that professional "marriage defenders" have placed upon her head. Most recently, she just signed a book deal to write a "memoir" called Still Standing. Given that "Prejean believes her crown was taken because she said she opposed gay marriage," I'd be willing to bet that this "memoir" will be the embodiment of the standard woe-is-me Christian Persecution Complex narrative that tends to dominate among the anti-gay, anti-equality crowd. In fact, I have a book jacket suggestion that the publishers are completely free to use: I lost my crown because homosexuals are, like, soooo mean!

Interestingly, "Prejean was replaced by the Miss California pageant's first runner-up, Tami Farrell. Farrell has also said she believes marriage should be between a man and a woman." For special, lucky, magical reasons, Farrell has nonetheless retained her crown.

Maybe the Incredible Power of Teh Gay isn't so powerful after all, eh Carrie?

Sometimes a termination based on an employee's breach of contract really is just a breach of contract and not conspiracy orchestrated by the Gay Mafia.

No comments: