Monday, February 14, 2011

Dan Savage: Please Stop

[Trigger warning for fat hatred, fat shaming, dehumanization, bullying, suicide, and child abuse.]

In September 2010, Dan Savage founded the It Gets Better Project in response to the recent suicides of gay youth who had been bullied. About founding this project, Savage wrote:

"I wish I could have talked to this kid for five minutes. I wish I could have told Billy that it gets better. I wish I could have told him that, however bad things were, however isolated and alone he was, it gets better."

It's a great idea, to have adults who have lived as children in a homophobic society telling kids that life might not always be as difficult.

But does Dan Savage think the bullying of gay kids is the only type of bullying that counts?


Read more, at Shakesville, where I have written a guest post.

No comments: