Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday Fun

Welp, I'm finding myself unexpectedly excited about the fact that The L Word is now streaming on Netflix.

Although the show is one that many lesbian, bisexual, and queer ladies love to hate (or is that hate to love?), I remember it feeling like a Really Big Deal when it premiered almost 10 years ago.  My friends and I, who didn't have Showtime, would pile into neighborhood bars or house parties to view the show each Sunday, aggressively shushing people so we could hear every word. (Is shushing people ever not louder than whatever is being said?)

Anyway, I watched a couple episodes last night, and they felt a bit dated with their earnest and somewhat heavy-handed treatment of certain Gay Issues Of The Day. The best scenes by far, in my opinion, are those where the group is simply together, say, ascertaining the sexual orientation of a certain "soup" chef, getting down with their bad selves at Dinah Shore, or hanging out at The Planet.

To conclude this Very Deep Post: (a) I thought Dana Fairbanks was the best character, in all her adorkable sporty glory, and am not over her demise; (b) I am probably 1 of 7 people in the world who actually liked Jenny Schecter; and (c) I'm pretty sure I make this face on a daily basis whilst reading Internet:


8265_4a89


Talk about whatever today!

No comments: