Monday, August 8, 2011

Quotes of the Day

Tina Fey, in Bossypants:

"I have observed that women, at least in comedy, are labeled 'crazy' after a certain age....I've known older men in comedy who can barely feed and clean themselves, and they still work. The women, though, they're all 'crazy.' I have a suspicion- and hear me out, 'cause this is a rough one- I have a suspicion that the definition of 'crazy' in show business is a woman who keeps talking even after no one wants to fuck her anymore."

As a member of the Internet Feminazi Brigade, I was pleased with Fey's feminism in Bossypants, even if it was a bit careful and understated. Seriously, the above quote is probably the harshest she is on the industry in her book. Well, other than when she tells people who say women aren't funny to go "shit in a hat."

Which is, honestly, an apt response for such bigots (ahem, the hive mind hasn't forgotten you, Christopher Hitchens).

Although, of the Women Aren't Funny claim, Fey also says:

"My hat goes off to them. It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist."

No comments: