Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Fun!

Well, I don't know about you all, but this has been a long week!

Talk about whatever you want today. And, if you're still up for political-type discussion check out my recent conversation at Family Scholars Blog with David Blankenhorn.

The recent Salon piece on Maggie Gallagher kind of framed Maggie as President of Marriage Defense and David as the Vice President (although, I'm not sure that's a fair representation of him or that he'd agree with it).

Nonetheless, I respect David. He is, whether he knows it or not, seen by many as a prominent voice against marriage equality. So, I take it as a compliment that he gives me space on his blog to share my opinions, that he actively engages my posts, and that he does so in a genial manner. We disagree on a lot, but we have at least a couple significant points of common ground, including the belief that same-sex couples deserve respect and possess basic human dignity.

I know, that seems like a low bar... but shared value is not always a given among opponents of marriage equality. So, it's nice to be able to disagree with someone about an issue without having to constantly prove that I'm not abnormal, pathological, and undeserving of being treated with respect because of my sexual orientation.

Check it out of you like.

No comments: